Friday, February 15, 2013

Give a little...

A week or so ago I got a phone call from the blood centre to ask if I would be in their trial for the new machines that separate my plasma... I really don't know what I'm talking about because I wasn't exactly listening but basically my blood type was needed, please donate blood and something different will be done to it. Okay!

So the other day I got up extra early, ate breakfast, downed a lot of water and off I went.

Sounds easy, but the last few times, donating blood has been a rather interesting experience so I don't know why they still wanted me. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to do so, even though needles are frightening and the initial prick test is so traumatising.

I passed the prick test. Apparently I have tiny veins so there was a bit of difficulty inserting the blood sucking needle and gentleness was required. It stung and gave me a bruise, but it was in so yay take my blood...

The whole time they were trying to take my blood my machine kept beeping. The nurse reassured me it was fine but after 20 minutes and giving only a quarter of what normal people give, I think she gave up on me. I failed giving blood again :(

 
Ice pack bandaged up to help ease bruising.
Despite the fail, it was actually a little milestone of mine, it's not much and even though twice I haven't given full donations, but trying counts and it was my fifth donation so I got a little present. I felt so special (really) that I wanted to give them more blood but we all know my body doesn't work like that, so I have three months to convince my body not to be selfish and that giving blood is good.

I earned a cup!!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...