Sunday, January 29, 2012

Jolin Shanghai Restaurant

Jack lived in Auckland for yonks so he knows where to eat. We were supposed to eat buns but due to navigational difficulties even though it was the same road (?!), we settled for dumplings instead. Apparently this place has some of the best dumplings so I was automatically excited.

Juicy Dumplings etc...
Back in the days I never understood the charm of xiaolongbao, I always ordered it at yumcha because of the name but never really liked them... that is until one day a new restaurant opened and when I bit into their dumplings, soup poured out of it. I was instantly enlightened! The broth was a bit rich in these dumplings, but probably more authentic and the fried dumplings were delish!

I was not expecting the drunken chicken to be in an alcoholic soup though because I'm probably more used to eating it the Cantonese way of being marinated in alcohol, served cold, soupless and garnished with spring onions and chilli peppers but it wasn't too bad. A lot of chicken, obviously couldn't finish because we also had soup... a lot of soup.

Crab and tofu soup. It had two crabs in it. More of a serve 4 option. The thing I love about going to Japanese restaurants is that they let you know if you have ordered too much and in some cases say no to me because I am being ridiculous (happens a lot), Chinese restaurants on the other hand... and because we were flying back that afternoon, I was not taking a doggy bag of crab and alcoholic chicken with me. I enjoyed lunch, a little on the fat and/or salty side but I think that's just the style of food.

Auckland... Up a hill somewhere then a garden? not the Auckland expert...
Enjoying a cool drink
I like flowers...
Not too long after lunch we went to Mission Bay and got Movenpick ice cream (I have a problem) and sat at the beach for a bit... honestly I wasn't too excited with the overcrowded small beach, made me miss home...however, the company was perfect :)

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...